GTU gets membership in United Nations Academic Impact for social responsibility
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Technological University (GTU) has received membership in the Academic Impact of United Nations for sharing a culture of intellectual social responsibility.
The certificate received by GTU from Chistina Gallach, Under Secretary-General for Communications and Public information, UN clearly mentions ten principles:
- Commitment to the United Nations Charter
- Human Rights
- Educational opportunity for all
- Higher educational opportunity for every interested individual
- Capacity-building in higher education systems
- Global citizenship
- Peace and conflict resolution
- Addressing poverty
- The unlearning of intolerance
Dr. Rajul Gajjar, I/c Vice Chancellor of GTU has expressed happiness and said that this membership will strengthen willpower of students as well as faculty members of GTU to work more and more for the social cause.
GTU’s ongoing Work on social front:
- Vishwakarma Yojana
2014-15: 455 Final year Civil Engineering students, from 18 Degree and 15 Diploma Engineering Institutes with the guidance of 33 Faculty Members, worked for the RIDP under MGNREGA for 48 blocks by covering 242 villages and prepared Quality Audit report of the civil works for these villages.
2015-16: DPRs for 238 villages will be prepared by 862 students of 37 degree and 22 diploma institutes with the guidance of 74 Faculty Members. DPRs, prepared by the students during 2012-13 are now being implemented in some of the villages.
- Work on Social Problems with Sabarkantha District Panchayat and Ahmedabad District Panchayat: GTU students, in association with local administration, scouted socio technical challenges and developed problem statements with the help of GTU’s Open Design School. Innovative solutions were developed at a 36-hours Hackathon on 27-28 October 2015. Now strategies to implement them at grassroots level are being made. Since the problems required an IT solution, the work was named as the CODE FOR GUJARAT.
- 36 hours Hackathon on Social Problems, as a part of the inter-zonal TechFest at VGEC was started in the evening of 10th to the morning of 12th March, 2016
- Besides this GTU is also doing following activities:
- Research Project on Study of Model Villages: GTU has taken up a research project on studying the model villages in Gujarat for preparing Guidelines for the Final Year projects in villages for the year 216-17.
- NSS: 24,000 students visit a village for 7 days: GTU’s NSS groups have been working on both school education and Swachch Bhart Abhiyan at various places all over Gujarat.
- GTU’s IT Infrastructure Abhiyan (ITIA): has been working on developing web-sites for schools in rural areas in Mehsana district. GTU’s students, as a part of their Final Year project, computerised GCCI’s Women’s MSMEs, under the leadership of Prof Manish Garhwal of LJ Campus.
- 500 Colleges-500 Villages project: With the new cohort of students of August 2015, GTU has brought together all the strands:
- Infrastructure Development – as is being done under Vishwakarma Yojana
- Digital India project- as was being done under IT Infrastructure Abhiyan
- Rural Entrepreneurship- a follow-up on the S4 work for SMEs and Social Enterprises (S4 stands for Student Start-up Support System at GTU. S4 is the nation’s most active pre-incubation system.)
- Technology innovation, appropriate and sustainable technologies, traditional knowledge and bio-diversity
- Education and cultural innovations – as is being done under the NSS project
The program has been started in 111 Engg Colleges in August 2015. Under this program, 646 villages in all the districts have been taken up by about 40,000 students.